The Best Ways to Celebrate Bike Month in Northern California
Take the Bike Month PledgeTake the pledge to replace car trips with bike trips at mayisbikemonth.com. Accept the Bike Your City challenge, pledge how many trips you’ll take by bike in May, log your miles, and you can earn e-badges, prizes, and bragging rights! Join Roseville Cyclery in the team challenge!
Support Your Local Bike ShopMany small businesses were hit hard by COVID shutdowns and interruptions to the supply chain last year. When you shop local, you support your local economy and your neighbors. Show your locally owned bike shop some love this month by shopping for bikes, apparel, and accessories at your favorite local shop, rather than the big box stores or online giants.
Consider an Ebike for Commuting and RecreationBike Month Reminds us about the importance of swapping out car trips for bike trips. Biking can be one of the best choices for the environment. A bike requires only .085% of the land and resources needed to produce a car. According to a 2015 study by the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, a 20% increase in world cycling could cut carbon dioxide emissions by nearly 11% by 2050. Many of the reasons people don’t commute by bike — “my trip is too long, I don’t want to get to work sweaty, etc.” — could be solved by using an ebike for commuting. Ebikes use an electric motor to help riders go farther and faster on their bikes, making them the perfect solution for commuting. But ebikes aren’t just for commuting: they’re also tons of fun! An ebike can help recreational riders and cycling enthusiasts reach new heights (literally) and explore new roads never seen before. Discover 5 benefits of electric bikes here. Roseville Cyclery is Northern California’s premier ebike destination. Shop our selection of ebikes in-store and online.
Get on a TrailFrom the California Bay Area to the Sierra Nevada mountain range, mountain biking is a quintessential NorCal experience. Explore the best mountain biking trails in NorCal, including:
- Mount Tamalpais Summit Loop: Indulge in magnificent views of San Francisco and the Pacific Ocean. Marin County.
- Angel Island State Park: Ride through the largest natural island in the San Francisco Bay. Marin County.
- Donner Lake Rim Trail: Explore the mountains and clear blue waters of this lakeside route near the charming town of Truckee. Nevada County.
- Downieville Downhill: A challenging loop for adrenaline junkies featuring a 5,000-foot vertical drop, waterfalls, and rocky terrain. Sierra County.
- Auburn State Recreation Area: Enjoy 40-miles of scenic canyon trails near the confluence of the North and Middle forks of the American River. Placer County.
Get on the RoadCalifornia’s beauty is unparalleled, from ocean views to mountain vistas, verdant farmland, towering forests, peaceful vineyards, and winding rivers. No wonder cycling enthusiasts love to bike NorCal! Take a tour of NorCal and ride one of these routes:
- Inspiration Point Golden Gate Bridge loop from Castro in San Francisco.
- Golden Gate Bridge to Presidio Promenade loop in San Francisco.
- Doran Regional Park beach loop from Guerneville.
- Napa Valley Vine Trail loop from Yountville.
- Auburn Triathlon Monument loop from Railhead Park to Conheim.
- Two States, One Lake Tahoe loop from South Lake Tahoe Beach to Juniper Mountain.